Monday, May 5, 2014

Presence



Technology.

Isn't it great?! You can look up blueberry muffin recipes while you poop, update dozens of people on your exciting trip to the fish hatchery with one click, reach across an ocean to connect with a friend from long ago.

Phenomenal!

However, at some point you start to realize (as you pin army jackets from Betsy Johnson's 1993 collection to your Fashion Inspiration board and your kids watch Scooby Doo on the iPad and your technology coordinator husband answers emails at 9 o'clock at night)...

You start to realize you can't remember the last time your whole family sat down to eat a real meal together. You can't recall playing a board game with your in-laws without checking your Facebook ten times. When you can't even put your phone away long enough to listen to your sister describe her latest sonogram, you know you're in trouble.

~~~

After having my students watch this video today in class, I had them journal on the topic of technology and social media. Did they feel social media was a help or hindrance? As I walked past one girl, I read her words: "My phone is a part of me. Without it, I would die." I thought about how sad that sentiment was. There's so much more to life than how many people liked your quip about Miley Cyrus's latest stunt.

I can't force my students to put their phones away and be present for each other, but I can try to be a better example for them and for my own children. We don't have much time here on this planet, and I want to fully experience every minute I have with my family and friends. If that means I miss out on pictures of my college roommate's dinner at Exile, so be it.

I think the trade-off is worth it.

1 comment:

  1. We do have dinner together every night--no gadgets allowed! But other than that? Yep. This video inspired me to leave my iPad plugged in on my nightstand all evening! Gotta do that more often. Email and Facebook and twitter can wait. My kids won't.

    I ended up reading a chapter of The Giver with my 12yo boy tonight, when we might both have been otherwise engaged with our gadgets. :-)

    ReplyDelete